I attend university now but want to transfer to a U.S. university. Should I take the SAT or ACT?

Some universities require the SAT for transfer students. Others do not.
Call the admissions office of universities that interest you to confirm, or check out the webpage on admissions requirements for transfer students. Here are some sample responses:

NYU: Transfer applicants who have already completed at least one year of full-time college or university enrollment in liberal arts and science courses are exempt from having to submit standardized test results to NYU. International transfer applicants, however, must review our English language testing requirements, which apply to both freshman and transfer candidates applying to our campus in New York.

Columbia University: You must take or have taken either the SAT or the ACT to be considered for transfer admission, and the scores must be directly reported to Columbia from the appropriate testing agency.

ASU: It depends on your particular situation. If you are transferring fewer than 24 transferable credits, you must also meet freshman admission requirements, which may require ACT/SAT scores. Also, some majors, such as business, require a particular ACT/SAT score for admission into the program.

Ohio State: You are not required to submit scores if you meet one of these criteria:

  • have completed at least 30 semester or 45 quarter hours of college-level courses since graduating from high school
  • are applying to a regional campus
  • graduated from high school two or more years prior to your first term of planned enrollment at Ohio State